Position Opening: Manager of Programs and Pastoral Care
Manager of Programs and Pastoral Care
Full Time (40 hours/week)
Summary of Position:
The Metropolitan Community Church of Toronto is seeking a full-time Manager of Programs and Pastoral Care. This position could be for a clergy or lay person who would lead a dedicated team of part-time staff in the Nursery and Children’s Church on Sundays and manage the Congregational Care Program with a team of volunteer Lay Pastoral Ministers and staff Clergy. The position would motivate volunteers and act as the staff liaison for the implementation of mid-week programing including Life Long Learning, Membership Classes, Seniors, Young Adults Programing etc. For more information visit www.mcctoronto.com/category/jobs/.
MCC Toronto was established in 1973 as part of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches denomination. Today MCC Toronto is a place of vibrant, inclusive, and progressive spirituality as well as a Human Rights centre. With an average of 400 people attending worship every Sunday during three unique services we are home to people of many different spiritual backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, countries of origin, socioeconomic realities, and abilities. MCC Toronto is rooted in the Christian tradition and the LGBTQ2+ community, and is growing into a nexus of inclusion and diversity with congregants who identify as Buddhist, Jewish, atheist, agnostic and more. The fastest growing element in the church is young families wanting to raise their children in an inclusive spiritual environment.
MCC Toronto is also home to the Triangle Program, North America’s longest running LGBTQ2+ High School and the Refugee Program that serves 700+ LGBTQ2+ asylum seekers every year as Canada’s only LGBTQ exclusive Sponsorship Agreement Holder with the Federal Government.
MCC Toronto is an exciting place to work and worship. Our Mission is to build bridges with a vibrant spirituality that transforms lives and transforms the world and Our Vision is to be a growing, inclusive, spiritual community that creates a just, kind and loving world for all.
Purpose of Job:
The Manager of Programs is an integral part of MCC Toronto’s staff team and congregation who acts as a connector, motivator, and engager. The purpose of this role is to lead and coordinate MCC Toronto’s Children and Family Programs, Congregational Care Program, and mid-week Programs including Life Long Learning, Membership etc. This includes the following responsibilities:
1. Build, train, and mentor the Congregational Care Team of Lay Ministers, Clergy and Friendly Visitors and manage pastoral care requests according to MCC Toronto’s Congregational Care Ministry Policy Manual.
2. Coordinate a Nursery and Children’s Church Staff Team and ensure a Children’s Programing that offers quality spiritual and diversity education in a safe and inclusive environment.
3. Coordinate Life Long Learning opportunities for the congregation and wider community that provide the space for progressive spiritual growth and social opportunities. Rebuild and maintain MCC Toronto’s Senior’s, Youth, and Young Adult Programing
4. Lead in non-worship volunteer engagement and coordinate a twice annual Membership Class.
Areas of Focus: (Percentages are negotiable given areas of strength and whether the successful candidate is clergy who wish to have preaching and presiding opportunities)
Pastoral Care: 20%
MCC Toronto has recently launched a comprehensive Congregational Care Program and trained a team of Lay Pastoral Ministers who along with Clergy provide pastoral care to the congregation in a highly coordinated fashion. The Manager of Programs will receive Pastoral Care requests and assign them to the Congregational Care Team of Lay Pastoral Ministers and Clergy and offer support in compassionate service delivery.
Worship and Children’s
MCC Toronto’s Children’s Church at the 11 AM Service ranges between 5-25 participants weekly from families within our congregation, participants in the church’s refugee program and guests. Divided into two classes the program uses age appropriate curriculum to walk children through the liturgical year and provide progressive spiritual education and diversity training.
The Manager of Programs will lead a team of dedicated part-time staff in delivering a program that offers a place for spiritual growth in a safe and diversity centred environment.
Should the successful candidate be a member of the Clergy, worship responsibilities could include occasional preaching and presiding of worship at 9am, 11am and 7pm services as well as provide leadership in Children’s Church and Nursery Programing with a team of dedicated part-time staff. This would be negotiable.
Life Long Learning:
MCC Toronto’s Life Long Learning program is currently in a rebuilding phase providing the opportunity for the successful candidate to show leadership in building a unique offering to the congregation and wider community that could include Spiritual Growth Classes, Seniors, Youth, Young Adult Programing etc.
Church members at MCC Toronto are asked to commit to volunteering within the organization. In worship this is coordinated by the Worship Logistics Coordinator, however the Manager of Programs works in conjunction with other staff to provide volunteer engagement opportunities for the congregation and those seeking to get involved in MCC Toronto’s many programs.
Continuing Education, Staff Meetings etc.: 10%
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff is required.
- Demonstrated experience recruiting, training, supervising and empowering volunteers is required.
- Extensive team leadership skills are required.
- Skills in facilitation, mentorship, and team building
- Program development skills are an asset
- Experience in progressive faith communities is as asset
- Experience in working with LGBTQ2+ and diverse populations.
- Diversity and inclusion training is an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively and experience in dealing with conflict is necessary.
- Formal training in theology, education and/or spirituality are highly desired but not necessary.
- Experience in Pastoral Care, counselling, or related experience is highly desired but not required.
- Working knowledge of technology including Microsoft Office computing tools (Word, Outlook etc.)
- Alignment with MCC Toronto’s vision, mission, core values and bedrock beliefs and signature of Code of Conduct is required.
Renumeration is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position is currently vacant with a desired start date on or before January 1st.
Please include a CV or resume and cover letter as to why this position interests you by email at: email@example.com