“Triangle is more accepting, we have more fun! Lunches are also way better here. Teachers make you feel like a part of the community, as if you matter and you aren’t just another student.” -Cassidy gr.12
The Triangle Program was the first school of it’s kind in the world, and it remains the only LGBTQ focussed high school in Canada. We are proudly celebrating the school’s 20th anniversary on June 23rd.
Triangle Program helps at-risk LGBTQ youth stay in school in a safe and positive environment. MCC Toronto covers the majority of the infrastructure costs including classroom facilities, furniture, utilities, insurance and other amenities. In addition, the funds we raise help cover program-related expenses like technology/equipment replacement, nutrition and educational field trips.
The Triangle Program is one of three programs that make up Oasis Alternative Secondary School. This full-time TDSB program offers students the structure, support and community of gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight and transgender peers while they obtain a high school education.
- Academic and applied curriculum that addresses the interests, concerns, literature, science and history of the LGBTQ communities whenever possible.
- Curriculum and courses that meet the needs of the students in a given semester.
- Smaller classroom sizes with more teacher interaction.
- Social support through our social workers, CYC, and through our connections to community organizations.
- Nutrition: Triangle Program offers students a free nutritious meal every day at lunch. Community volunteers prepare lunch and always include vegetarian options.
- Opportunities for volunteer hours and co-op placements.
- TTC fare so that transportation is not a barrier.
The school is open for personal study every day at 9:00 a.m. Classes begin punctually at 9:30 a.m. and the school day ends at 3:30 p.m. Lunch is from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Attendance is important and is recorded for every class and monitored regularly by the teachers and the social worker. We’ve found that to be successful students need to attend regularly.
The attendance requirement is 80%. Legitimate absences, with notification prior to absence will not be counted. Two lates (exceeding fifteen minutes) are considered an absence. All absences must still be accounted for by telephone message or by note.
If a student does not maintain their attendance at 80%, they risk losing their place at the Triangle Program.
The Triangle Program is housed at MCC Toronto in a beautifully renovated learning space on the lower level of the 100 year old church. Centrally located near Gerrard Street and Logan Avenue, the school is easily accessible by TTC.
Now in it’s 20th year, the Triangle Program will be celebrated by MCC Toronto, with Rick Mercer, at the Daniel’s Spectrum Centre on June 23, 2016. Tickets go on sale soon!