MCC Toronto is an unorthodox church looking for an unorthodox Music Director. An average of 400 congregants attend our three worship services every Sunday with around 2000 congregants from across the Greater Toronto Area. MCC Toronto is both a vibrant, inclusive and progressive church, as well as a world-renowned Human Rights organization. We are rooted in the LGBTQ2+ Community and the Christian tradition, but we are growing into much more – with congregants of many different backgrounds and beliefs. Our fastest growing community is young families wanting to introduce their children to diversity.
We are religiously, sexually, and ethnically diverse and as such have diverse interests in music, from organ and traditional hymns, to show-tunes and jazz, to classic rock like the Beatles and pop music like Lady Gaga; all of which make their way into our worship. We have a choir of between 20-30 souls, who sing a short prelude and an anthem every Sunday at the 9 and 11:00 a.m. service as well as a soloist or small group that do an offertory piece of music weekly. The 7:00 p.m. service has a worship band, Acts 29, that leads music for that service.
The Music Director is responsible for coordinating it all and offering excellence in music in weekly worship and beyond. However, they do not do it alone, but rather with a team of amazing people including a choir, soloists, and a rehearsal / service choral assistant. By accessing available program funding, the Music Director will have the opportunity to recruit and lead an amazing team of paid and volunteer resources.
Reporting to the Senior Pastor, your specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead the music for the 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. services.
- Assist the Senior Pastor with the evening service worship band as needed.
- Plan the music for special services like the annual Lessons and Carols Service in Advent, occasional Vigils in times of crisis, Good Friday service, a special Easter Sunday Service, and any other season services that may arise like Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday etc.
- Collaborate with the clergy staff in planning sermon series, seasonal themes, and worship arts through quarterly worship planning meetings.
- Manage the music program budget and music budgets associated with special events.
- In collaboration with the clergy, plan the music for the Annual Pride Service, Christmas Eve Services and the Mid-Year Fundraising Event.
- Plan and execute two high quality fundraising concerts a year.
- Lead and motivate a high performing team of paid and volunteer resources.
Qualifications and competencies:
- Post-secondary education in music.
- Must have high level of competency on either piano or organ.
- Should have experience in choral conducting and arranging.
- Experience in a wide variety of music such as music theater, gospel, jazz, or pop.
The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate a passion for social justice and human rights, building community, be sensitive to diversity in sexual orientation, gender expression, race, country of origin and physical/mental abilities.
The compensation range is $45,000 to $52,000 per year. A Toronto Musicians ‘Association contract can be executed if applicable. Please email your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2019. We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.