Triangle Program High School Graduation
Congratulations Class of 2017!
Let the caps fly and the celebrations begin! Graduation is an exciting time that marks both an ending and a beginning. There’s no greater recognition of a student’s achievements than a high school graduation ceremony. Diplomas are awarded, the Valedictorian delivers a heartfelt-inspiring address and the speakers get an opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments and share their experiences, values and advice.
“This is a safe space where the students are not judged and can be themselves,” said staff member Noel Rozentals.
The Triangle Program is the first and only high school program for LGBTQ+ students and those who wish to learn more about the LGBTQ+ communities. The school opened its doors here at MCC Toronto in 1995. The Triangle Program supports young people to grow and succeed in a positive space where they can learn about themselves and the rich history and culture that comprises the LGBTQ+ communities both in Canada and around the world.
It has been a remarkable year for the Triangle Program. Highlights include:
- 8 Graduates – one is off to Concordia University, one will attend Ryerson, and one is going St Clair College in Windsor
- 40+ youth at Triangle this Year
- Added a third Teacher: Alice Martin Ellwood
- Participated in the Trans March for the first time
- 5 youth completed Dual Credits through George Brown College
- 1 student completed a University Credit at Ryerson through our Ry-Tri partnership.
- Capital One hosted a career day and gave all our youth free laptop computers
- Visit and discussion with the Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ+ issues, Randy Boissonnault, and local MP Julie Dabrusin
- Field Trips: AGO, Harbourfront Centre, Opera Atelier, the Inside Out Film Festival, Cabaret, Ontario Science Centre, Nutcracker, World Press Photojournalism Exhibit, ROM, and the Toronto Zoo.
- Students created a ‘zine, “Who are We”, which is now for sale at the Glad Day Bookshop. Proceeds go to BLM Freedom School.
- Visits from Reptilia for science class, Capital One for financial literacy, Singer Kate Reid, and Social Circus Circle – Students performed a live circus show in December.
- Students created our third ever yearbook.
One parent remarked that “this is an environment that allows the students to be themselves, which is difficult to find. The program has grown and has allowed my son to be true to who he is.”
“This is a big achievement! Since I have only been in Canada for one year, I enjoy being in a space to get better grades. I am grateful to the staff for what they have done and I can see lots of opportunities within the career community,” said graduating student Zohair Abbas Bhayani.
Triangle grads, we at MCC Toronto want you to know that your achievement is remarkable. You were made for great things. We applaud your efforts and wish you a future filled with happiness.
We believe you can fly!
The Triangle Program is proud to recognize the hard work, dedication, and academic accomplishments of the following students upon their graduation:
- Ralph Beaudoin
- Zohair Bhayani, O.S.
- Trisha Fountidakis
- Sin Kennedy, O.S.
- Eben Kutner-Arrington
- Sam Rea, O.S.
- Rylan Selby-Leon